Gino De Dominicis was born in Ancona in 1947.
He studied at the city’s state art institute and attended the architecture courses at the Fine Arts Academy in Rome. In 1968, after a period spent travelling, he settled in Rome where he came into contact with the Via Brunetti group Laboratorio 70.
In 1970, he published his Letter on Immortality, a theoretical enunciation of his research, focussing on the theme of time and the conquest of physical immortality, on the subtle confine between visible and invisible. There followed, in the second half of the 1970s, an attentive rediscovery of Sumerian culture that in the early 1980s led to a shift towards a pictorial and manual conception of the making of art.
In 1986, the National Museum of Capodimonte dedicated a solo show to his work, based on the theme of immortality. 1989-1990 saw the anthological exhibitions organised at The Murray and Isabella Rayburn Foundation in New York and the Centre National d’Art Contemporain Le Magasin in Grenoble.
Among the principal international exhibitions in which he participated were: the Biennale de Paris (1971, 1973, 1985), the Venice Biennale (1972, 1978, 1990, 1993, 1997), Documenta at Kassel (1972), the Rome Quadriennale (1973, 1992). In the May of 1998 his last solo show, In pieno Kali-yuga, was held in the Mazzoli gallery in Modena. Gino De Dominicis died on 29 November that year.