In 1959, Aldo Rossi graduated in architecture from the Polytechnic in Milan, his hometown. In 1955 he had already begun to work as one of the editors of the “Casabella-continuità” magazine and he also collaborated with other periodicals including “Società” and ”Contemporaneo”. By 1956 he had started his architectural design career working alongside Ignazio Gardella and Marco Zanuso in their Milan offices. Between 1963 and 1971 he was a professor at Milan Polytechnic and subsequently at the University of Palermo, where he was suspended from teaching for political reasons. From 1972 he continued to teach at the Federal Polytechnic in Zurich and in several American universities, right up until he regained his teaching post, in 1975, at the IUAV (University Institute of Architecture in Venice). He was responsible for the international architecture section at the Triennale exhibition in Milan in 1973 and in 1983 at the Venice Biennale Architecture exhibition. He had both a rich and varied design career which included: the Piazza del Municipio (Town Hall Square) and the Resistance Monument in Segrate, Milan (1966); the residential complex situated in the Gallaratese district of Milan (1969/70); the new Cemetery in Modena (1973/80); the “Teatro del Mondo” (Theatre of the World) for the Venice Biennale (1979/81); the renovation of the Carlo Felice Theatre in Genoa (1981/90); the Casa Aurora office building in Turin (1983/87); the Tiergarten residential buildings in Berlin (1985); the hotel and restaurant complex in Fukuoka, Japan (1987); the residential and office building in Schutzenstrasse, Berlin (1992); the reconstruction of La Fenice Theatre, Venice (1997). His creations within the field of design include the objects made for Alessi and furniture created for several interior design companies. His books, in particular L’architettura della città (The Architecture of the City) (1966) and L’autobiografia scientifica (The Scientific Autobiography) (1990) mark important stages within the critical development of the twentieth-century architectural thinking. In 1990 he was awarded the prestigious Pritzker Architecture Prize. The archive left by Rossi in his Milan office became part of the MAXXI Architettura collection in 2001.
A. Rossi, L’architettura della città, Venezia, 1966
A. Ferlenga, Aldo Rossi. Opera completa, Milano 1987-1997 voll. 3
A. Rossi, Autobiografia Scientifica, Milano 1999
M. Scheurer, M. Tadini (a cura di), Aldo Rossi. Disegni 1990-1997, Milano 1999
F. Dal Co (a cura di), Aldo Rossi. I Quaderni Azzurri: 1968-1992, Milano 1999
S. Polano, Aldo Rossi in C. Olmo (a cura di), Dizionario dell’architettura del XX secolo, V, Torino 2000, pp. 269-274
E. Terenzoni (a cura di), L’archivio personale di Aldo Rossi. Disegni e progetti della collezione del MAXXI Architettura, inventario, Roma 2004.